Alexander’s Battalion Meeting Minutes
January 13, 2017
The meeting was called to order at 7:35 PM
Artillery Staff in Attendance was: Battalion Commander, Col. John Douglass, Chief-of-Staff, Lt. Col George Miller, Battalion Adjutant, Lt. Col. Tim Fogarty, Chief of Provost Major Roland Meiers, Chief of Surgeons, Major Darwin Roseman, Battalion Webmaster, Capt Bob Henry, and Safety Officer/Battalion Sgt Major, Sgt Major Alex Swain and assorted guests.
Batterys in attendance were: Bedford Light, Cunningham’s, Hart’s Battery, Huger’s, Striblings Battery, 4th MD, Major Roseman, also representing Alexander’s Battalion Field Hospital
· Sgt. Major Alex Swain began the meeting with prayers and blessing on all in attendance.
· Battalion Commander Col. John Douglass, made his opening remarks, welcomed everyone, discussed looking forward to the coming year, feedback on whether to keep the meeting on Friday evening or Sunday morning, discussed camping with the infantry, be willing for batteries to galvanize, discussed using common sense for uniforms in the field during hot weather, discussed looking for old or making new by-laws for the battalion, Perhaps each battery could have a recruiting officer, discussed proper flags in camp, how he plans to use the artillery in the field when feasible, moving guns while on the field, and working with the infantry where possible, usage of proper rank at events, come up with ideas to have fun in camp in the evenings
· Chief of Staff Lt. Col. George Miller, Thanked all for their courtesies and help on the field at Cedar Creek, reviewed battalion expenses, spoke on having more military courtesies in camp, a motion was made to drop battalion dues from $30 to $10 for 2017. The motion passed. He collected dues from the attending batterys. Kudos go to Lt. Col. George Miller for his performance at Cedar Creek.
· Battalion Adjutant Lt. Col. Tim Fogarty, took a hands vote as to what batterys were attending Corps and Corps sanctioned events, Handed out a more defined copy of the Corps insurance, reviewed and emphasized the different forms to be found either on the Corps or battalion website, reminded the batterys to use the insurance form for any guests in the field, must put their name on it and turn it in Corps COS or ADJ, please send to this adjutant their yearly schedules and a copy of current insurance rider, a battery roster of names must be submitted to Jill Russell along with insurance rider as to verify actual members and update master roster and, a new practice to add battery members names to the backs of morning reports at any event, gave kudos to Sgt Major Swain for his involvement in getting morning dress parade going correctly, adjutant spoke on and elaborated on the Chuck Hillsman/Longstreet’s Scholarship fund which can be found on the Corps or battalion websites. Can be used for immediate family of Corps members. Nominees must be submitted by April 30th, no exceptions. Send to Art Wingo at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Also nominees for “Artillerist of the year” are to be submitted to Sgt. Major Swain by Sept 1st at email@example.com Criteria for this award was reviewed in battalion meeting.
· Major Darwin Roseman, Battalion Surgeon, Spoke at length on the battalion AED, it costs, maintenance and uses for the Corps on the field and the chain of custody if Darwin can’t be at an event. Kudos to the Field Hospital for their work on the field in 2016.
· Major Roland Meiers, Battalion Provost, thanked all for their help in the field and would continue to do what was needed to assure we have a secure and calm camp, asked if there are any volunteers in a battery to do Provost, to let him know.
· Captain Bob Henry, Battalion Webmaster, let us know the battalion website was up for renewal which is good for two years and is paid for by monies from the battalion, we now have 10 gigabytes of memory, spoke on being able to give each battery their own website/domain, if they wished. Asked us to add pictures of their battery and event pictures. Told us to use and abuse the site for whatever purposes needed for reenacting. He has the time to do the entry.
· Sgt. Major Alex Swain, Battalion Sgt. Major and Safety Officer, we had a safe year in 2016, made a motion to open the “Artillerist of the Year” to officers, the motion passed, spoke on how we have gotten dress parade down much better, that we did look good on the field and will continue to improve on dress parade and drill, the ANV is now marching out to the field, as they like what we do, spoke for 20 minutes on possibly introducing the “Patton” drill into the battalion along with existing drills NPS, USFAA and NCWAA, that NCO’s will report to him on any problems within the camp or event as his is the voice up to the officer corps, he also spoke on drill and parade formation and will abide by “Gilliam’s” manual, he tends to work closely with the Corps Sgt Major and Infantry/Cavalry awareness of artillery safety zones in the field.
· Cunningham’s Virginia Battery and Huger’s Battery were accepted as full members into the Corps and Battalion.
· At future events the Corps has command of, the artillery will camp with the Corps.
· There was no new or old business brought up.
· A motion was made to close discussions and the meeting adjourned approx. 9:15 PM
· A closing prayer was given by Sgt. Major Swain thanking all who had attended, and for a safe trip home.
· Thanks and appreciation goes out to “Hart’s Battery” for making their long journey to the annual meeting.
Respectfully Submitted By
Lt. Col. Tim Fogarty